Thursday, September 23, 2010

It's a Raccoon??!!??!!

OMG!! I'm about to wet my pants! We have a Raccoon in our attic! AAAHHHHH!!!
So, yesterday Allison stopped by for lunch. I had gone to the bathroom and we heard a crash. I said, "Was that you?" she said "No, but it came from back here", as she walked toward the bathroom and bedrooms. Then we heard it again......"Was that you?" "NO" "OMG, something is in the wall, it's in the closet, no, it's in the attic!" Something was scuffling around, we heard claws, we heard a bang, we heard scampering! EEKK!!! It Sounded BIG!!
I freak out and called Jeff!! I ask him, what to do? Something BIG is in our attic, and I'm NOT going up there! Thankfully, Allison was here to witness the noises or he would have thought I was a hallucinating preggo! B/C of course when he got home and looked up there, there was nothing and we didn't hear any more noises!! Of course!
Well, he called our pest control people anyway, and they were sending someone out today.
Soooo, this morning, 7am! Jeff has left for work, and thump, thump, thump!! AAHH! Seriously! Why can't it happen when he's home!??! I remembered that months ago Jeff had put some sticky traps up in the attic in case we have any rodent friends. He nailed them down, so they didn't hop off and get lost in the walls or beneath the insulation. Well, something was on one! I could hear it hopping around trying to get off the trap! GROSS!! What do I do?? The guy wasn't getting here until 11am!! UURRGGHH!
I HATE Rodents, bugs, insects, you name, I loathe them!!
By about 8-9, I'm not hearing much noise anymore. Either the "thing" tired out, or worse case, it got OFF!! 11am, and the "Wildlife Animal Services" guy is at my door!! Thank Goodness! Hey, mister, there is something Big up there....Have fun! I tell him, where the trap was and that I knew something was on it this morning. He went up, and straight to it, and......NOTHINGS there, but gnawed wood and hair! It was a RACCOON!!! He could tell by the hair, and it had gnawed on the wood in the attic by the wall trying to get loose. EEEWWWW!!!
We have some mesh wiring in the eves on either end of the house for ventilation. One side has a hole in it, and he assumes he got in through that. Also, he thinks squirrels have been up there bc he sees nuts. After he tells me he is going to charge me an arm and a leg, he sets traps in the attic. He had me close him in there, in case the "thing" decided to attack, it couldn't come into the house! Instead would be trapped up there with him! Brave Soul he was, Mr. Ryan!
Bless this poor guy, who was soo nice. He said when he graduated with his bachelors in Animal Biology/Wildlife Science, he didn't imagine this is the job he'd be doing, but non the less he seemed very thankful for his full time job.
He comes back every other day to check the traps, unless we hear something, then we call! Hopefully, we catch this thing! Then they fix the eves, then we fork over a couple thousand more for new insulation!! Oh, the JOYS of home ownership! Doesn't someone want this house? We are about to give it away!!!
O'well! Here's to Catching us a Coon!! :) He said actually they are kinda cute, and I will be sure to take a picture of the thing when we catch it. In the meantime, my attic will smell like Sardines(they put a can in the trap)! yuck!

This is what I picture this Thing looking like, and it will EAT me!!

1 comment:

  1. ha ha leslie, so sorry! raccoons are so gross! stay away, b/c i do believe that it might want to eat you.

    ReplyDelete